Founder Vice-Chancellor, Sri Devaraj Urs Academy of Higher Education and Research, Kolar, a Deemed to be University from 2007 to 2012. Chief Sight First Technical Advisor, Lions Clubs International Foundation, India & Srilanka and Advisor, Asia Heart Foundation and Narayana Hrudayalaya, Bangalore at present.
Formerly, Vice Chancellor of Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Karnataka, Vice Chairman, Indian Red Cross Society, Karnataka, Honorary Advisor, Karnataka State Blindness Control Society and Director, Regional Institute of Ophthalmology, Minto Ophthalmic Hospital, Bangalore.
Dr.Shetty was awarded with Honorary Doctor of Science, “Doctor Honoris Causa” and ‘OSMU Gold Medal’ by Odessa State Medical University, Ukraine (2002) as a mark of recognition of tremendous professional achievements and outstanding contribution to the field of Medical Education in India.
Dr.Shetty was born in 1943 in Kundapura, Udupi Dist., Karnataka. Dr.Shetty who has M.S. degree in Ophthalmology has been considered as an excellent teacher (1968-1999). He has held teaching positions at Government Medical Colleges Hubli, Mysore and Bangalore and occupied the post of Director, Regional Institute of Opthalmology, Minto Opthalmic Hospital, Bangalore (1996-99). During his tenure, the Institute had seen a sea of changes in providing Eye Care facilities to the common man. When was elevated to the post of Vice Chancellor, Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Karnataka in 1999, the University showed all round progress and obtained International recognition. (1999-2002). In the year 2007, he was appointed as Vice-Chancellor, Sri Devaraj Urs Academy of Higher Education and Research, Kolar.
He has undergone training in Vitreo Retinal Surgery at Moorfields Eye Hospital, London under WHO fellowship (1982), Eye & Ear infirmary, Chicago, Illinois (1987), Sydney Eye Hospital and Eye & Ear Infirmary, Melbourne, Australia (1990) and was considered as one of the committed ophthalmic Surgeons in the country.
As Technical Advisor, Sight First program, Lions Clubs International for South India and Sri Lanka since 1991, he was responsible for developing more than 100 Eye Care projects worth 15 million US dollars. Financial assistance was given for 5 lakh Free Cataract Surgeries to the poorest of poor patients in South India and Srilanka since 1991.
- Member – Board of Management – Meenakshi University, Chennai, KLE University, Belgaum, Nitte University, Mangalore and Sri Siddhartha University, Tumkur.
- Chairman – Academic & Administrative Audit Committee, Bangalore University (2007)
- Chairperson – Review Commission, Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences Act, 1994, (2006)
- Chairman – Fee Fixation Committee for Health Sciences (2003)
- Member – Mr Arora Committee, Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore (2004-05)
- Member – Justice Byappa Reddy, Fee fixation committee for Professional Colleges, Andhra Pradesh (2003 – 06)
- Member – Justice Murgod, Fee fixation committee for Professional Colleges, Karnataka (2003-04)
- Consultant – Danish Assistance to National programme for Control of Blindness, Karnataka (2002 – 2003)
- Member – Task Force, Rural and Urban Health, Government of Karnataka (2000-02)
- Member – Board of Management – Manipal University (2000-02)
- Member – International Mid term review term DANDIA (2000)
- Member – International feasibility study team on Man power training, (DANIDA) (1993)
- Member – Medical Council of India (MCI) (2000-2002)
- Member and Chairperson – National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) Peer teams since 2003
Recognitions and Awards
- The Dr.G.Venkataswamy memorial award for exemplary contribution to Community Eye Care in India (2010)
- Indian Medical Association Karnataka State branch award in recognition of distinguished services to IMA and Medical Profession (2010)
- Govt. of Karnataka Doctor’s Day award (2010)
- The Academy of General Education, Syndicate Bank and Rotary Club of Udupi – Manipal (2009)
- Recipient of “Humanitarian Service Award” by the Andhra Pradesh State Ophthalmological Society silver jubilee celebrations at Hyderabad (2001)
- Felicitation by Karnataka State Medical and Dental Alumni Association, America and Showa University, Tokyo. (2000)
- Rashtriya Ekta Award by All India National Unity Conference, New Delhi for outstanding service, achievements and contribution on the 55th birth anniversary of late Shri Rajiv Gandhi, New Delhi (1999)
- Felicitation at Ophthalmic Department, Queen’s Medical Centre, Nottingham University, U.K. (1997)
- Pan Ophthalmologica award, Maldives (SAARC countries) (1996)
- National Society for Prevention of Blindness award for Humanitarian Service. (1995 – 1996)
- Eminent Citizen Award.
- Received 12 oration awards, 7 National and 17 Karnataka State awards and recognitions for his contribution in the field of Community Ophthalmology and Medical Education.
He has 45 research presentations to his credit and has been a guide for Post Graduate Course in Ophthalmology, Ph.D. program and research projects at Bangalore University, Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, I.C.M.R. and C.S.I.R.
- Good sports person.
- Represented University of Mysore in Shuttle Badminton (1964 & 66).
- Represented University of Karnataka Teachers’ Tennis (1975).
- Member – Lions Clubs International since 1981.
- Indian Red Cross Society.