Integrative medicine is grounded in the definition of health. The World Health Organization (WHO) defines health as “a state of complete physical, mental and social wellbeing and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity”. Integrative medicine is a combination of mainstream (conventional) of medicine with complementary and alternative medicine (CAM), for which there is a high quality scientific evidences of safety and effectiveness.
In the year 2013, Dept. of Community Medicine, conducted ‘SAMANVAYA – a conference on Alternative Medicine’ which had brainstorming sessions on AYUSH systems of Medicine by eminent speakers from different specialty, which led the foundation for department of Integrative Medicine by upgrading the existing division of Yoga (which was under Allied Health Sciences). As far as our knowledge SDUAHER, is the first University to introduce Yoga in the medical and nursing curriculum.
Department functions under following
- Research: conducting EMR & IMR projects.
- Core Programs : PGDYP, M.Sc. (Yoga) and PhD (Yoga).
- Value added Program: MBBS, Nursing, BPT, and BSc (CND).
- Clinical Services: Yoga therapy, Ayurveda and Counselling
- Outreach Activities: Conducting outreach activities for Schools colleges (personality development) and workplace wellness etc.